When it comes to purchasing a generator, it is important to find a generator sales company that is not only knowledgeable in the product, but also in the services and logistics surrounding it. A generator is a significant investment, and you want to ensure that you are working with a company that has established expertise in selling and servicing generators. In this blog post, we will discuss the key factors to consider when choosing a generator sales company, including expertise, servicing capabilities, assessment processes, permitting knowledge, and project management.
5 Factors to Consider When Choosing a Generator Sales Company
1. Do they have expertise in selecting generators?
First and foremost, it is important to make sure that the generator sales company you are considering has established expertise in selecting generators. This means that they should not only be able to provide you with the right generator, but also know enough to estimate the size you’ll need and advise you on typical problems that could be encountered and how to prevent them.
2. Do they have expertise in servicing generators?
Make sure they also service generators. Companies that know how generators work, and typical problems that could be encountered, will give better advice. Additionally, a company that also services generators will be able to provide you with ongoing support and maintenance, which is crucial for the longevity and efficiency of your generator.
3. Can they perform a thorough assessment?
When searching for a generator sales company, it is important to ensure that they perform a thorough assessment of your specific needs and requirements. This includes taking into consideration factors such as power usage, location, and any potential future expansion plans. A company that conducts a thorough assessment will match you with a generator that suits your needs, rather than one that is convenient for them to sell.
More about assessments
When it comes to purchasing a generator, the assessment and planning process is crucial to ensuring that you get the right generator for your application. Our service begins by helping you assess your backup power needs and make informed decisions about the type and location of the generator, fuel source, and permitting requirements.
- We will work with you to determine the scope of your backup power needs, whether it’s for your entire site or just specific items. We’ll help you weigh the pros and cons of different options, including the potential cost of rerouting circuits to one location to backup just specific pieces of equipment.
- We’ll also guide you in selecting the best fuel source for your generator. For example, natural gas may be a good option, but keep in mind that your utility may turn off the supply in the event of an earthquake or other situation that it considers a risk. An on-site diesel supply is not subject to being turned off but comes with additional maintenance requirements.
- We’ll help you select the best indoor or outdoor location that complies with fuel storage and exhaust regulations. And we’ll advise you on all the necessary permitting requirements. Generator sales installation and use is highly regulated and building and air quality district permits are required. Keep in mind that it may take one year or more from the time you begin the process to your startup date.
By working with us, you’ll have the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your generator purchase is well-planned and compliant with all the relevant regulations.
4. Can they advise you on permitting and lead times?
Another important factor to consider when choosing a generator sales company is their knowledge and understanding of permitting and lead times. A company that is familiar with the permitting process and necessary lead times will navigate the process smoothly and efficiently, saving you time and hassle.
More about lead times: an uncertain factor in generator installation
When it comes to installing a generator, one thing to keep in mind is that lead time can vary. The schedule for completion is not set in stone and can be affected by a number of factors. This means that your experience could be shorter or longer, depending on the circumstances.
Given current backlogs, a good rule of thumb is to expect the entire process to be completed within two years, but you should note that the timeline will be specific to your circumstances. It’s important to work with a company that understands the permitting process and can advise you on the necessary lead times.
It’s also worth noting that unforeseen delays or complications can occur, so it’s important to have realistic expectations and to work with a company that can keep you informed and updated throughout the process.
Therefore, it’s advisable to plan ahead and be aware of the timeline uncertainty when considering a generator installation, so you can be prepared for the possibilities.
5. How will they manage your project?
Lastly, consider the generator sales company’s ability to handle the whole project or collaborate with your chosen contractor. A company that can handle the whole project, from assessment and permitting to installation and maintenance, can provide a seamless and streamlined experience for you. However, if you already have a contractor in mind, make sure that the generator sales company is willing to collaborate with them to ensure the best outcome for your project.
More about project management: CD & Power’s expert assistance in generator installation
After assessing your backup power goals and developing a plan, our team will work with engineers to size the generator, tank, and other equipment accordingly, then produce engineering drawings. Our company specializes in generator sales and installation, so you can trust that we have the expertise and experience to handle every aspect of the project.
We are available to manage all aspects of the project, including:
- Sale of Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and other ancillary equipment
- Applying for and securing necessary permits from authorities having jurisdiction over your site
- Attending inspections
- Managing other contractors involved like electrical, cement, fencing
You may not have to purchase and install a generator often, but we do it regularly, so you can rest assured that we will handle every aspect of the installation process with skill and efficiency.
In summary, we are here to guide you through the process, from assessment and planning, to installation, and even ongoing maintenance.
When purchasing a generator, it is important to work with a generator sales company that has established expertise in selling and servicing generators, performs thorough assessments, understands permitting and lead times, and can handle the whole project or collaborate with your chosen contractor. By considering these key factors, you can ensure the best possible service and support for your generator investment.
Let Us Power Your Next Project
Since 1985, the team at CD & Power has been considered one of the most talented groups of generator experts in Northern California. From our locations in the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento, our team is prepared to assist with every aspect of your generator sales and maintenance needs. Contact us today.
Powering Your Success!